To earn CFP Certification, Candidates must successfully complete the CFP Certification Education Program. Candidates will be trained with skills in financial management, financial planning principles, investments, insurance, asset management, risk management, retirement, tax planning and estate planning.
CFP Certification Education Program consists of FOUR courses, each of 40-hour duration:
Exemption from the CFP Certification Education Program
Candidates may qualify for exemption from some or all of the courses of the required educational courses if they meet one of the following requirements:
- Fast-track to CFP Certification1 :
- Master's Degree Holders in Business/Economics2 or holders of a certain professional credential on "Fast-track to CFP Certification" List C may qualify for exemption from the CFP Certification Education Program (Course 1 to 3).
- Doctoral Degree in Business/Economics or a certain professional credential on "Fast-track to CFP Certification" List D may qualify for exemption from the CFP Certification Education Program (Course 1 to 4).
Please refer to the lists of "Fast-track to CFP Certification" for qualifications eligible for the exemption.
- Transcript Review:
- Candidates who have taken comparable degree-level courses from accredited education institutions may apply for transcript review to waive some or all of the required educational courses of the CFP Certification Education Program (Course 1 to 3).
- Exemption through transcript review is NOT available for CFP Certification Education Program (Course 4)
Validity of CFP Certification Education Records
There is no expiry date of education records, thus allowing Candidates with flexibility to schedule their education program according to their own needs.
Currently, the education programs are provided by the IFPHK’s Approved Education Providers. These Approved Education Providers comply with a rigorous approval process to ensure quality and standardization. The IFPHK also provides education providers with study materials and comprehensive guidelines. The Approved Education Providers are:
1. , The University of Hong Kong
Tel: 2867 8468 Fax: 2861 2404
2. , City University of Hong Kong
Tel: 3442 6359 Fax: 3442 6413
3. , Macau University of Science and Technology (MUST)
Tel: (853) 8796 1998 Fax: (853) 2875 0019
1 Candidates must provide proof of the relevant academic or professional credential.
2 The Master's Degree program must substantially cover topics of the CFP Certification Education Program (Course 1 to 3)